Friday, September 13, 2013

This Week's Projects . . .


 Two or three years ago, we redid most of the landscaping in our yard.  Most of the change was necessitated by our addition and the ensuing destruction it reeked on our existing yard.  My neighbor had a tree, a Tri-Coloured Birch I believe is the name, that I loved and I really wanted to plant one in our yard. We already had beautiful big pine trees, I just wanted some spring and fall color.  The landscaper found a great tree and planted it in our front yard.  Unfortunately, the tree has not liked this past cold winter and extremely hot summer, especially since our front yard faces directly west.  The tree hasn't died, but it's definitely not thriving either.  I decided this week to plant another tree nearby to see if it would provide more protection from the sun.  Home Depot had several trees for sale for $24.99, so I felt like it was an investment that I can afford to fail if it doesn't prove to be a good decision.  So here's my little $25 dollar tree I planted.  I also love how beautiful the mums are out front.  Apparently, they don't mind the western exposure.
My second project I completed this week was my curtain project.  I bought this yellow and red toile on sale several years ago, and about 10 yards of the ticking stripe for $19.99 at Down East Home around the same time.  I finally decided it was time to put them to use.
It's a rainy day, so the picture doesn't show the curtains very well, but I think they will help protect the table from sun exposure and provide privacy in the evenings.  My husband and I watched the remake of "The Grudge" recently and I have wanted to put up curtains ever since.  (Yes, I know it isn't real, but still, a little disconcerting to feel like you're living in a fishbowl.)  I didn't use a pattern, so it was a bit tricky figuring them out.  Hopefully the two side panels will go more smoothly.  I broke two sewing machine needles in the past week trying to sew through these thick fabrics.  I also hope my inexpensive Target curtain rod will hold up to the weight of the curtains.  The things you learn, right?  I like the creative aspect of design much better than the actual work of it.  Oh well, I think they turned out all right.  After I finish the two side curtain panels, I'd like to recover the seats of the black chairs and make a bench cushion.  Time to work on these projects is the upside to all of my children being in full day school.

No comments:

Post a Comment