Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Diary of a Home Remodel #2: The Kitchen



Remodeling a kitchen is probably the most expensive, inconvenient project out there. It takes a lot of planning and forethought to get it right. Two situations made my remodel a little less expensive and less of a headache. First, my existing kitchen layout worked. Though the cabinetry was outdated, I had plenty of space to work with and the major appliances didn't need to be moved significantly. The only appliance I moved was the refrigerator a few feet to the left so that it wasn't the first thing you saw when you walked in my front door. The second factor was that I found a steal on cabinets by purchasing a "model kitchen" from a business that was remodeling. The kitchen included cabinetry, hardware, the sink and faucet and granite countertops. My space was larger than the model, so before I purchased the cabinetry, I called the kitchen designer and asked if she could match the finish and add to the model. She thought she could, though if I'd bought a wood finish, it would have been a more difficult match than that with a paint finish. Buying my cabinets (also eco-friendly since its reuse of materials) in this manner probably saved me $15,000 to $20,000 dollars. I was unable to use the countertops, but now I have granite to use in a bathroom remodel at a later date.






1 comment:

  1. Your kitchen is beautiful! You are so talented. I love it!

    ReplyDelete