Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Wonder of a Garden

Tonight, watering my plants after a summer of neglect in my garden, reminded me of why gardens can be so alluring. As we drove up to our home, a flower was in bloom that I forgot I had planted.

The butterfly plant, that is so unattractive without blooms that I've almost pulled it the last two summers, redeems itself when in flower.

I watered my hanging geraniums and found a neglected bird's nest.

Despite a weedy garden, I have the first buds of tomatoes growing. You can especially see the large tomato on the right, though the one on the left has several tomatoes growing.

Gardening, though not the easiest of pursuits, is very rewarding, not unlike the pride you have in watching your children grow and develop. The surprise and wonder at realizing I have a rhubarb plant or two apple trees, wondering how much they'll produce in a season.

The concern over the late blooming of roses, that suddenly burst into bloom. These plants are starting their second round of blooms.

The "Walmart special" impatiens I planted, that bloomed when I left them without care for a week.

The petunias I planted last summer that decided to bloom again this summer. Definitely a pleasant surprise.

I love the mystery of plants--its definitely not a science to me yet, as you can see by the number of weeds in my garden, but I refuse to give up. The possibilities are endless, and there's always next year if this year's garden didn't work out quite the way I planned!

No comments:

Post a Comment